This first piece contains Flash based interactive examples of her synaesthetic visual reactions to everyday sounds.
And here she uses those flash examples to create an interactive installation using sensors to trigger audio and projections of her sound-to-visual experiences.
I had previously come across Processing myself (bookmarked on Delicious on June 15) its an open source programming language and environment for people who want to create images, animations and interactions. Its' free to download but I haven't looked at it fully yet. I've also come across the 'Arduino Microcontroller' which seems to be the type of thing that can make an interactive installation happen.
Audrey and Shelaghs' suggestions involving viewer interaction and viewer setting off sensors/switches etc requires sensors that can convert to a computational language so the computer can respond to the trigger and that is what this Audrino kit does it seems. Its' open source also - but I feel like I would need a helpful 'tech-head' to get this notion off the ground... I'm getting that technology overwhelm again!
There was a presentation on it in a Dublin conference I was unable to get to recently.... "Connect everyday objects to the Internet" Jeffery Roe, TOG Hackerspace, Dublin - (by the way if anyone knows a "helpful tech head" - or where to find one - I'd really appreciate it!)
I had previously come across Processing myself (bookmarked on Delicious on June 15) its an open source programming language and environment for people who want to create images, animations and interactions. Its' free to download but I haven't looked at it fully yet. I've also come across the 'Arduino Microcontroller' which seems to be the type of thing that can make an interactive installation happen.
Audrey and Shelaghs' suggestions involving viewer interaction and viewer setting off sensors/switches etc requires sensors that can convert to a computational language so the computer can respond to the trigger and that is what this Audrino kit does it seems. Its' open source also - but I feel like I would need a helpful 'tech-head' to get this notion off the ground... I'm getting that technology overwhelm again!
There was a presentation on it in a Dublin conference I was unable to get to recently.... "Connect everyday objects to the Internet" Jeffery Roe, TOG Hackerspace, Dublin - (by the way if anyone knows a "helpful tech head" - or where to find one - I'd really appreciate it!)
This next piece is another Flash based interactive piece based on her changing calendar, from college to holidays, with a period of confinement due to a broken leg.
Finally, here are some photographs she created that resembled some of her personal photoisms. (They demonstrate similarities to Kluvers 'Form Constants' - see the previous post)
Hi Steph, I think this posting shows just how busy you have been with your research. I know your 'delicious' account must be bursting but I really think documenting everything on the blogs is far more beneficial. It makes it so easy for the viewer (i.e. me) when I just have to click on a link to bring me to where I want to be, It really helps me to understand your train of thought.
ReplyDeleteI really like the interactive flash examples by Carrie Firman. The black background, simple shapes, bright colours really appealed to me. I was trying to create music myself, jumping from one to the other. However, I was disappointed with the you tube clip of how it worked as an installation and I know this is very important to you, as installation is an area you are considering. I think the fact that I was integrating with the flash piece played a part here by making it more exciting/fun. But I just found the lady jumping from one tile to another a bit annoying, and I found myself asking questions that really should not of been relevant at all, What is she wearing? Why is she wearing clikety high heels? Could they not of just focused on recording her feet jumping from one to the other and a separate screen showing the motifs? I suppose it just highlights how important attention to detail is when you come to presenting a piece. So even when you are just getting a piece to function interactively it must also always be a consideration as to how it will be presented.
Forgot to say, I loved her calendar. The different shades and shapes to symbolise the different priorities. It would probably be a good graphics project to give students in September, it would also be a way of getting them to highlight and be more aware of their own deadlines and assessments!
ReplyDeleteJust thinking I could probably do up one of those for my daily schedule...the results might be frightening though.
I think what all your research is showing up, is that very simple graphic shapes and strong colours are very prominent in synesthesia. This is something you are probably very comfortable with investigating with your own skills so perhaps something like a 2D poster is where you should explore next and who knows what that may lead to?
Hey everyone,
ReplyDeleteSomeone happened to find this page, and I'm flattered to be featured! I hope my website provided the info you needed. If you have any questions, let me know.
@audfitz, you are spot-on with the floor issues. I ended up removing it completely in favor of a much more compact, enjoyable, and flexible sonar sensors. (http://carriecfirman.com/synesthesia/synexperience.html)
It also lets me make it into a bit of a game.
The idea of making students do a visual calendar is fantastic!
I'm glad my work was of use!
All the best,
Carrie Firman