Tuesday, July 5, 2011

An Eyeful of Sound

Samantha Moore is a film maker who makes animated documentaries. 'An Eyeful of Sound' is her award winning film about synaesthesia, and is a wonderful expression of the synaesthetic experience - the best I feel I have unearthed in the research to date. This film took her and her team 3 years to complete, I take comfort in that and smile at the innocence I had in my initial ambitions for the REV module... bless!
Enjoy this animated work and the amazing descriptions from the synaesthetic women involved. (One aspect that is absent from this film that I hope to include in my (post REV) motion piece is the element of viewer interaction).

I was reminded in viewing and listening to this film of a snippet from Dr Richard Cytowics' Llibrary of Congress presentation....
"People often say 'Wow, isn't it confusing to see all this extra stuff - doesn't it drive them crazy?
And I say - well no more than a blind person saying to you - Gee, everywhere you look you're always SEEING something, doesn't it bother you having to see everything ALL the time?"

That aside just makes me smile. Its the texture of our reality, and synaesthetes have a different texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment