Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bringing Sound into 2D Graphic Visualisation

So in the past week I've been trying to switch gears a little and move back into the world of flat 2D graphics with the synaesthesia project. I'm doodling away but have nothing to post here yet. Its great though because I feel my creative juices are flowing better now and as I draw out an idea i can see how I might weave it into an animated piece or see it with the element of time at least. One concern I had in dabbling again in flat graphics was that I would be leaving audio behind. This really bothered me, as over the course of REV I have found sound to be the most captivating - in the research itself and in its possibilities for communicating concepts - visually and aurally. I am attaching a link here that I have come across that has greatly encouraged me. It is a project by Laia Clos called 'SisTeMu' and is a graphic notation system which interprets musical texture. SisTeMu maps musical notes to CMYK colour swatches, and tempo to size and orientation of circles, lines and other bold graphic elements. It's no easier to understand than standard music notation, but it appeals to the senses and emotions in a direct way, much like the 'Four Seasons' concertos that inspired it.



No comments:

Post a Comment