The writing of my artist statement is getting there too. That has been so interesting - to step into the work and get centered on it in this way. It feels exciting to really look at and interpret the work in such an intimate way. I can't remember ever taking to the time to attempt to describe the motivations, methodology, process, style, reasoning and rationale behind what I do, and why, and how. I've pages of stuff written looking at various questions I asked myself to help get my thoughts together and list of words that communicate my feelings about my work and the value I place on it, favourite aspects of it, patterns that have emerged etc. It's been a really revealing and confidence building thing for me to do. Hopefully I'll figure out the techie bits now and manage to get some visuals up on Picassa/Flickr by Monday.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Interpret the Meaning, Describe the Work
One week into MULL and it's been busy. My heart sank earlier in the week when I went to uncover my old sketchpads and discovered that they'd fallen victim to one of my 'clearouts' (about two years ago my husband reliably informs me!). In the box where they used to be was a bunch of old computer cables and a single 4th yr thesis. So I've been reduced to the few sketchpads that relate to more commercial work and drawings, which aren't nearly as exciting or extensive as the older ones. Still its been an interesting process this week going through them and the work itself and photographing, and trying to curate it all. I've enjoyed too looking at links for my influences, but have discovered that this is like entering a time warp... I've spent a crazy amount of hours getting utterly side tracked online admiring other peoples work. It's been great to revisit some of those earlier influences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Steph ,
ReplyDeleteI very much like the way you present your work visually here. I am looking for example at Work Sample 5. The image along with the description of the brief, the design challenge etc. worked really well, better for me than say the long description (middle paragraph)within the statement draft. So maybe a re -reading could help focus you in on what is working or not working in light of your concept or a wider concept of Artists Statement. What to include what not to!
It is a benefit to doing the statement in drafts so you can put it all in at the beginning and then refine it down!
All the Best
Fiona